....my thoughts and experiences, my aspirations as well as abandonments, my beliefs and doubts..
my opinions and indifferences..

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Where are we headed?

I cannot keep shut when something happens that doesn't seem proper to me......and It's not possible and proper to say everytime what you think.......so my only respite is...."conversations with myself......" :)
The incident I'm upset today is of a college girl Ayesha studying in SVS College in Bantwal,Karnataka, who has been said not to wear her headscarf while attending classes by college authorities after a few of her classmates threatened to wear saffron to boast their own religious preference,too.....She is fighting for being given the space to do what she wants. Now to what kind of a future are we headed - with these kind of young, intolerant individuals as our generation next? And on top of that the authority who succumbed to these threats of student unrest.
Now, my point is let them wear saffron if they wish to......nowhere it is written that only one particular religion has the right to wear some religious symbols,after all. But let it be out of one's own preference. To infringe upon the personal choice and freedom is unconstitutional. We can really never force someone to wear or not to wear anything, and this is true for every other personal choice as well. I'm more surprised by the cowardly acts of the college authorities, who, instead of defending the girl, is giving up before some fear of student unrest.
The discretion of expressing or not expressing our religious beliefs and preferences rests totally with us, and we cannot be apprehensive about the freedom of others.....that's Indian secularism for you and we better not lead to it's distortion.

2 comments:

  1. I think this is a very valid point that you have raised, honestly, such crisis is only deepening. it is an age of contradiction, where on the one hand we have 377 being repealed, and on the other something like this. And with a country as vast and varied like ours, we are going to have these things forever. Whew!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails