....my thoughts and experiences, my aspirations as well as abandonments, my beliefs and doubts..
my opinions and indifferences..

Wednesday, August 12, 2009


It's been a year now for us (me and my husband) in USA, and one of the most pleasant experience in this one year has been our trip to New York City, on the 4th July weekend. The two days that were spent in NYC felt so good that I desire to share what I felt.....We walked the streets of NYC, visited the landmarks......and explored to our heart's fill. We didn't care about getting tired....our enthusiasm knew no bounds......New York city has a charm of its own.....It has its own signature......
The city reminded me of Kolkata.....and naturally made me nostalgic. New York follows an altogether different pattern.....more crowded,happening and happy....throbbing with life.....More justly so, as it is the largest city of USA....but again...come on....don't we know that the largest may not always mean the happiest....? So it possess a different magic......New York took my heart away primarily because it resembled the city I love....Kolkata..the city where I grew up...not in the biological sense of term...but in all the other ways. Now my comparison may well be argued upon....anyone can put down a list of differences between Kolkata and NYC....based on the visible, material aspects....of which I am quite aware....and that of course is not my point here......what I found similar is the essence of both -- the sentiment, the buzz, the liveliness you feel once you land...in both the cities...are same....the differences,otherwise, are as much as that of US and India.....and my writing this piece today is neither concerned nor aimed at those differences. I am trying to align the similarities....the hustle-bustle, the street foods, shops, joy on people's faces, the cosmopolitan demeanour of a metropolis...the overall energy of the two cities, you know.....
I somehow feel that may be the cities by the side of a water body possess a heart of its own.....may be..
I took pretty long to belong to Kolkata........not that I was forced.....but eventually I fell in love with the city......and over the years, that has grown so intense that anything seeming somewhat similar to that .....gets my liking and rememberance......So New York city will always remain in my heart as a relief......the relief you feel when you see someone you know in the middle of a crowd where you feel stranded and somewhat alienated....
Though nothing can beat the 'City of Joy' but I am happy to observe that the 'City That Never Sleeps' comes very close to it.


Sury.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails