....my thoughts and experiences, my aspirations as well as abandonments, my beliefs and doubts..
my opinions and indifferences..

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The Glass Bowl

On my last vacation to India with my 5-month old son, my mother gave a glass bowl from her crockery trove. The reason I write about this apparently trivial object is because this particular bowl (it is from the time when I was a baby and just started being fed rice cereal from a bowl) is almost my age....i.e., nearing thirty.
Maa has preserved this bowl from its potential brittleness like she also has kept our (me and my sister's) first shoes, frocks, kindergarten report cards and many such souvenirs of our childhood. The bowl was carefully made to survive trough the years by my mother. I cannot even imagine being capable of preserving a glassware for so long.
I came back with it and now my son has his cereals and pureed fruits from the same bowl......how interesting does that sound to you? To me it is amazing, and a wonderful emotion.....even more so now as the petals of motherhood are slowly blooming in my life.
In this special phase when I feel the responsibilities along with the joy of being a mother, I also get to understand my mother in a whole new light....like never before, and suddenly sometimes I miss being around her, living far away in another land, with only social networks and telephone to turn to in today's 'tech-all' times. 
I could always relate to her in a mother-daughter way, but now I have started to relate and feel our motherhood....although I have a long way to traverse....

3 comments:

  1. Loved the narration. I see this as a significant difference between our generation and the earlier ones. My parents have held on to and cherished my childhood objects, but I have little to show for my kids. It is not that I am a frivolous, materialistic, or a use-and-throw parent, yet, there is a difference in our times. This is hard to explain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very nice to read your post.
    Blogger
    Searching..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks...glad you liked it. As I have written, in our 'tech-all' times, we may have loads of photographs uploaded on facebook or other media but real things to keep...that becomes difficult at times...though I try to do that...and so trying to preserve some of the things he's outgrowing, but i am not sure.. when my son will be my age, those stuffs would still be around for him to see..!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails